The Rose Has Teeth In The Mouth Of A Beast is a record by San Francisco duo Matmos. It is a series of “sound portraits” of a pantheon of people that they admire. A musical attempt at biography, it’s loose in some places and very literal in others; taken as a suite of stylistically disparate songs, you get a kind of fractured family album, a historical pageant. It’s at once Matmos’s most melodic and most conceptual record. Guests: Antony, Björk, Maja Ratkje and others.
Released on CD and vinyl.
1. Roses and Teeth for Ludwig Wittgenstein
2. Steam and Sequins for Larry Levan
3. Tract for Valerie Solanas
4. Public Sex for Boyd McDonald
5. Semen Song for James Bidgood
6. Snails and Lasers for Patricia Highsmith
7. Germs Burn for Darby Crash
8. Solo Buttons for Joe Meek
9. Rag for William S. Burroughs
10. Banquet for King Ludwig II of Bavaria
11. Kendo for Yukio Mishima [on Japanese CD, all LP editions, and iTunes only]